Ageology physicians will be the first to tell you that in order to feel better and age well, a healthy diet packed with nutrients and minerals is a key component to combat fatigue, hormone imbalances, depression, loss of sex drive, hair loss and erectile dysfunction, among other symptoms. Research proves that an inadequate intake of essential nutrients is also linked to the development of diseases, such as coronary heart disease, prostate cancer and osteoporosis. However, even a perfectly tailored diet won’t meet 100 percent of men’s nutritional needs, simply due to the fact that today’s food is more nutrient-depleted than it used to be, and in some cases, it is toxic because of the exposure to pesticides.
To assess whether you are incorporating an adequate amount of nutrients into your daily diet, an Ageology physician can test your body’s store of nutrients by using the most advanced and scientific methods available. Each man’s chemistry is different, so there’s no rulebook outlining the correct amount of nutrients for his body. Ageology physicians treat these aging conditions with a combination of hormone replacement therapy and vitamin supplements, and prescribed medications as needed, to help men feel better with age and to prevent diseases. Our physicians can safely design a supplemental vitamin and mineral program perfectly tailored to your particular deficiencies and physical chemistry.
Vitamins are vital to men’s optimal health and wellness, as well as key components to a preventive care regimen. Below is a list of the top eight Ageology recommended vitamins and supplements for men of any age looking to maintain health and vitality.
- A Multivitamin is one of the most important supplements for natural health maintenance and preventative care. Multivitamins help fill in the nutritional gaps in a man’s diet and gives the body healthy servings of natural nutrition. Conveniently, these supplements are also one of the most affordable vitamins available today.
- Fish oil, also known as Omega-3, plays a key role in many anti-aging functions for men. Fish oil helps prevent common male heart diseases, as well as cancer, high blood pressure, joint pain, weight gain and depression. The richest source of Omega-3 is found in fatty fish, eggs, flax and walnuts, but fish oil capsules are an excellent way for men supplement their diet for healthy living and disease prevention.
- Vitamin D3 helps men reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer. Research suggests that it helps suppress the growth and spread of prostate cancer cells in men who have already developed the disease. It’s common for older men to have vitamin D3 deficiencies, especially during the winter and spring months, so this vitamin is essential in every man’s diet. In addition, studies show that vitamin D3 supplementation contributes abdominal fat reduction.
- Saw Palmetto is a crucial supplement for men as they age. Saw Palmetto reduces urinary symptoms for an enlarged prostate gland, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BHP). This supplement can also be used to treat other conditions, such as decreased sex drive, hair loss, hormone imbalances and prostate cancer.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is found naturally in a man’s body and aids in the conversion of food into energy; therefore, it’s a driving force to preventing disease. This powerful antioxidant helps prevent and treat heart attacks, heart failure, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and gum disease. CoQ10 also reduces the damage that free radical particles cause, which the body produces with age. Scientists believe free radicals are a major contributor to the aging process.
- Pycnogenol treats various health issues in men, including circulation problems, allergies, asthma, ringing in the ears, high blood pressure, muscle soreness and joint pain, diabetes, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, erectile dysfunction and a particular eye disease called retinopathy. In addition, it helps prevent stroke, heart disease and varicose veins. It’s proven that this supplement slows the aging process in men, as well as maintains healthy skin and improves energy and male fertility.
- Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that helps slow the rate of brain deterioration, from memory loss to Alzheimer’s disease, both of which are symptoms that occur with age. Turmeric is a culinary spice used in Indian curries and one of America’s favorite condiments, mustard. Data shows that deterioration of the brain can begin as early as the mid-20s, so supplementing with a Turmeric vitamin is an excellent choice for men.
The healthiest nutritional choices are those made with the guidance of an Ageology physician. Some side effects can occur if supplements interact with certain medications, so it’s important to consult Ageology for proper instructions and dosage before taking any vitamins. It’s also important to remember that vitamins are intended to supplement healthy diets, not replace healthy foods entirely.
For more information on how you can get well, feel well and age well, contact an Ageology physician near you today.
Learn more about men’s health issues and how Ageology can help:
Read Ageology’s recent blog posts and library resources to learn more about men’s vitamins and integrative metabolic medicine:
- The Best Multivitamins for Men
- The Vitamin That Helps You Breathe Easy
- Too Little Vitamin D May Hasten Disability as You Age